Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sherry Ratay's Bi-Anual Color Forum

     Several weeks ago, I hosted my second in-salon Color Forum! It was an exciting day full of education and color conversation. The conversations are about what makes us money behind the chair: clients with gray hair, fading redheads, oxidizing blondes, brassy brunettes, the list goes on. We also covered a key fact, the truth about hydrogen peroxide. (this is a touchy one)

     Our day started with our beautiful model Julia. Julia came in as an icy summer blonde, now that we are in fall it was time to move her into more warmer shades. I brightened her foundation with Joico Base Breaker and created dimensional ribbons of strawberry using the Beth Minardi Signature shades Demi-Crème.

    Maryann is a very special client of mine and a client we all have behind the chair, "gray coverage". I touched up her base with Beth Minardi Signature shades permanent dye 1 oz. of 4R, and 1 oz. of 4BB, giving her soft lift AND 100% gray coverage without giving her hot roots.

   Our next model was Maria, who too was a gray coverage touch up. Maria is 60% gray, instead of using permanent dye to cover her gray I used a demi-permanent crème. I transitioned Maria's dimensional color into fall shades of Autumn Harvest. It was absolutely breath taking!

 
Pictured above -- Julia
 
     Last, but not least was my husband Michael. There is  nothing worse than seeing a man that has just colored his hair and it is the color of "black shoe polish".  When working with male clients I reach for Beth Minardi Signature shades Demi-Liquid....I only wanted to blend away his gray....NOT COVER COMPLETELY. I must say, it now looks perfect!


Pictured right -- Maria
 Pictured left -- Michael
 
      Now with so much being covered, there are three points of conversation that were my favorite!
- First, covering gray with a demi-crème instead of permanent dye.
- Second, making sure that you, the colorist, are choosing the appropriate shades for your guests skin tone and eye color.
- And last, but certainly not least, the truth about hydrogen peroxide.
 
Looking ahead to future Color Forums, I will be discussing allergies to hair color dyes and paraphenylenediamine! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment