Saturday, July 19, 2014

Professionalism in the Beauty Industry


When you set out to become a business owner regardless of the industry it takes a great deal of skill with a mind set to become inhabited with the so called “machine” that business is. Running any business takes hard work, dedication, time, and money. Entrepreneurship can be challenging in many ways, but if it is truly your passion to own a business then the drive inside of you will not allow you to give up. In addition to your own contributions, it is vital you hire and fill your business with professional employees who help you reach your goals and who can benefit from you to reach their own goals. These should synchronize together.

In my twenty plus years in the beauty industry and eight years of being a salon owner, I have learned many things, but most importantly I have stayed grounded in my original beliefs. Since the beginning I strongly believe in an associate program to empower and build the knowledge of the people that will be working with you. This program gives the associates hands on experience, where they will learn the true fundamentals of hair coloring and haircutting. With this one of a kind education agenda in place, you allow yourself a sense of peace and confidence that you have taught them to be a well representation of the salon brand. I have learned many things in my past eight years of being a salon owner I have seen everything that you could possibly see, good and bad in the beauty industry. I have zero tolerance for IGNORANCE and STUPIDITY.­­­ I do not put up with tardiness, gum chewing, coming to work without makeup or hair done, nor especially disrespecting upper management. These issues limit the ability to be a team member. In any situation I will take immediate action, reprimanding the employee and taking additional action depending on the certain situation. My recommendation to run a fully staffed, professional salon is to follow through on all of the policies set in the contract each employee signed before working. There should be no favoritism, everyone is created equal. Lastly, work is work. There needs to be a separation from your business and your personal life. The way your employees act is based on respect.


At Salon Ratay I hire staff that is professionally the best of the best, in my eyes. The most important characteristics I look for in future employees are motivation, hardworking, and most importantly the desire to be the best they can be. A professional employee must be polished from head to toe, eager to be critiqued, and must be well spoken or willing to learn. Your team is only as strong as your weakest member. The most important piece of knowledge any Service Provider needs to remember is: We are here to serve the guests. It is always all about the guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment